When I talk about my love of the art of radio drama, I often
begin with my years listening to the CBS
Radio Theater during the 1970s. True, it introduced me to the vast canvas
of storytelling possibilities through audio but I also have to admit to another
influence getting me hooked on radio as art: Chickenman. Yes, Chickenman,
the brainchild of radio funnyman Dick Orkin, who created the series on Chicago’s
WCFL in 1966. What was to be a two-week stint at wacky fun turned into 195
two-and-a-half minute episodes chronicling the crime fighting exploits of the
White Winged Warrior.
I loved Chickenman
and his famous call: “Buck-buck-buck-bu-u-u-ck!” Followed by a chorus of voices
exalting: “He’s everywhere! He’s everywhere!”
Dick Orkin played all of the male characters and, with the aid of a
little editing, they even overlapped each other. Another of my favorite parts
was when the narrator (Jim Runyon) at the end of each episode would begin his
summation with a long, richly intoned “Well-l-l-l-l…!” Obviously you have to
hear it to realize how funny it becomes episode after episode. (The closest
thing I can compare it with is George Takei’s “Oh, my-y-y-y…!”)
Whenever I was helping my Dad install carpet (his occupation
for many years) I always knew that at around 4:30 pm we would stop and take a
break. The local radio station would treat us to a dose of Chickenman and we would chuckle and laugh together. It was silly
fun but I learned that just as radio drama could amplify your fears with the
right acting and sound effects, so could radio comedy amplify your belly-laughs
with images in your mind all created with Dick Orkin’s voice and great sound
effects.
When I co-created Anytown
USA back in the 80s, I was heavily influenced by Dick Orkin. I reveled in
playing two or even three characters in a single scene all interacting with
each other. Voice, sound effects and one’s imagination combined to make people
laugh. I miss those days. One of the funniest bits in Anytown USA was a tense operating room scene where, in the
background, the EKG rhythmic “beeps” start sounding out Morse code for S.O.S.
before flat lining. Naturally, since it was a comedy, the patient did survive!
Years later I got the opportunity to meet and study voice
acting with Dick Orkin. It was great fun and a valuable learning experience
learning from the one and only White Winged Warrior himself: “Buck-buck-buck-bu-u-u-ck!
Chicken-man-n-n-n-n!! He’s everywhere! He’s everywhere!”
Now I see that Chickenman
is also available on iTunes, by the way. Wow, thanks to the Internet, he truly
is everywhere. “Well-l-l-l-l…!”
No comments:
Post a Comment