There is no doubt that Peter
Jackson’s The Hobbit (there used to
be a time when I thought of it only as J.R.R.
Tolkiens’ The Hobbit) is doing booming box office worldwide. This bodes
well for the second and third installments of this mega-adaptation of a rather slender
book. Let me state for the record that the film is largely enjoyable to watch.
It’s also incredibly long for only one
part of a three-part story. I was none-too-pleased when the credits rolled
and all I got as a payoff for my emotional investment was a Dwarf-Hobbit hug at
the end!
But I digress. Many of the
scenes (excellent as they are) go on too long. The most egregious of these is
the rabid feasting and partying by the Dwarves after they descend on poor Bilbo
Baggins. For no discernable reason, it got me to thinking about the
distinct personality types to be found in Middle Earth. Let’s take the Dwarves
for example. They are down-to-earth hearty souls who party like there’s no
tomorrow, hang together like a band of brothers and are the type to shamelessly laugh at fart
jokes. “Well,” says a friend of mine, “you seem to have a bit of Dwarf in you.”
Me? Oh, yes. If I were a Middle Earth man, then I was clearly raised among the
Dwarves.
“But,” again says my friend,
“you have that aloof and thoughtful Elf quality.” Do tell. Does that make me
(in the realm of Middle Earth, that is) a Snooty Dwarf or a Rockin’ Elf?
However, I feel a strong connection to the Shire, an idyllic, peaceful place
where no one is in a hurry and you never even want to travel beyond its
borders. Plus, the hairy feet also make me strongly inclined to accept kinship
with the Hobbits. So, I think I have the soul of Hobbit, the introspection of
an Elf and the attitude of a Dwarf. My hairy feet, soft doe-eyed gaze (result
of allergies, really) and uncontrollable snickering at fart jokes confirm this
assessment, I fear. Alas, I am a Middle Earth Man (not a wizard, not an orc).
My friend speaks again:
“Where would you choose to live in Middle Earth?” Rivendell (home of the Elves)
is clearly the high-end of the real estate market and too much for me to
afford. Erebor (home to the Dwarves), although chock full of treasure, has a
rough and tumble feel that likely includes a lengthy Police Blotter and Middle
Earth graffiti. That leaves the Shire (home to the Hobbits) the suburbs of
Middle Earth. Good schools, nice parks and low crime no doubt make up for the
stiff real estate tax.
Yes, I’d choose the Shire.
Too bad I have to commute to
work in Mordor…
I’m just saying…

I especially like the thought that went into the third paragraph. However, I don't agree that your Doe eyes are from allergies. :) I agree that I think I would enjoy living in the Shire,...the most. Man would you and Rich and two of my boys have a lot to talk about. Fart jokes and all,...well not so much that although,...those can be good for a good chuckle. Rich got to see and hear Bill Cosby's stand-up about gas and women,...that is something to beware of...
ReplyDelete